By Rita Soronen
President and CEO
When we released the incredibly positive findings from the five-year study of our Wendy’s Wonderful Kids (WWK) program in late 2011, we knew 2012 was going to be a big year for us.
In May of this year, we announced a partnership with the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services to scale up the WWK program to identify permanent homes for children waiting in the state’s foster care system. Today, we have 40 recruiters in Ohio (and 122 more across the U.S. and Canada) who are using our child-focused program to help move the longest-waiting children out of foster care and into adoptive homes.
We also wanted 2012 to be a year of thought leadership – in the adoption field and beyond – and we are doing that by talking about topics that are important to you through this blog, along with speaking engagements from coast to coast.
These are the most popular blog posts of 2012, according to you, our readers.
- 5 reasons you won’t adopt from foster care, and why they’re wrong. Even though this post was written only a month ago, it is our most popular post by far. Your comments showed that addressing the myths and misperceptions about adopting from foster care is important.
- 107,000 reasons why you should find it hard to sleep tonight. 107,000 children waiting to be adopted is what keeps me (and a lot of you) up at night.
- The child we were always meant to have. When we first heard the adoption story of our guest blogger Tracy Mazuer, we were incredibly moved. Her story exemplifies that “aha” moment of meeting your child for the very first time.
- 10 ways prospective parents can get a head start to adoption. When we asked our Facebook followers what advice they would give prospective adoptive parents, the response was tremendous. We compiled our 10 favorite tips to give adoptive parents-to-be a head start.
- Let’s elevate National Adoption Month to more than just another proclamation of awareness. This year’s National Adoption Month was a huge success. Nearly 4,500 children were adopted in November!
- Doing good is not always doing what is right. More states are offering services to help children who age out of foster care. Make no mistake that while these are noble efforts, there is no substitute for a family.
- Adoption tax credit: What next. This important tax credit has been available to adoptive families for 15 years. It is scheduled to expire from its current level of reimbursement in three days. If you haven’t called your representatives and senators, please do it now and ask them to save the adoption tax credit.
- On the set of ‘A Home for the Holidays’. My experience being in the audience during the taping of the 14th annual ‘A Home for the Holidays’ was one I’ll remember. The performances were great, and the stories of adoption were incredibly moving. Year after year, this holiday special impacts millions of viewers.
- 2 easy ways you can help get more children adopted. Throughout 2012, we advocated for initiatives that would help get more children in foster care adopted. This included the adoption tax credit and a charity postage stamp that raises funds to help foster youth. And each time we asked you to help, you came through. Thank you.
- Wendy Thomas and Father’s Day Frosty Weekend. Guest blogger Wendy Thomas (yes, THAT Wendy) recalls memories of her dad, and shares why she is so proud of what he accomplished for children.
That’s it. Our most popular post of 2012. Thank you for all that you do to help waiting children in foster care. Here’s to another banner year in 2013.
Happy New Year!